Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it. - Danny Kaye

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Signs…

street signs

google sign

horoscope signs

signs movie ad

It’s like the Five Man Electrical Band song “Signs” (you know it, “Sign, sign everywhere a sign…”). That’s right, just like that. Signs, everywhere. That’s what I’ve seen at difficult times in my life, but lately it’s not me…it’s my mom. Since losing her two parents in a matter of a short 44 day span, she’s seen signs. Comfort signs. Religious signs. Sweet and sad signs. But most importantly signs that meant something to her, signs to help grieve, and signs to help her move forward.

From the song that wouldn’t leave her head last week on the day she buried her father to hearing it loud and clear the next Sunday in Church. From being alone sorting through her parents’ mail to stumbling across a piece of ‘ junk mail’ with the poem “Footprints in the Sand”. From the same table at Stax’s where she had her last breakfast out with her father before he passed to the same waitress last weekend who waited on my parents and asked “are you waiting for someone else?” Signs.

Generally if I’ve seen signs they were during tough or difficult times in my life. Whether it be a song on the radio who’s lyrics were coming across the airwaves as if they were written specifically for my reason of sadness or grief to just the right timing of a friend sending a letter of love and support in the mail. Signs.

And sometimes signs come in the form of dreams…especially for me.  From fears about wild animals to reliving the stresses of work.  In the subconscious even dreams can bring signs.

It’s nice to know that in times of sorrow and even in times of happiness & celebration, signs may show up to comfort you, on the good times and the bad. Read into them or miss them…it’s all in how you look at things, but if you step back for just a moment, you may be able to find signs in everyday life.

And the sign said, "Everybody welcome. Come in, kneel down and pray"
But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all,

I didn't have a penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me. I'm alive and doin' fine."

blank signs

What signs have you seen?

4 comments:

BillDixon said...

Because of what your grandparents stood for and believed in, you were the receiver of something that you will pass on to your family and others. You will also be a "Flashing Sign", flashing signs of all things good, sweet, and kind.

Liz Bridges said...

I am a HUGE believer in signs. Almost every time I have had a difficult decision to make and I have been at a complete loss, I have gotten little signs that have helped me to make decisions. I think that often, we're not paying attention until we really NEED to see the signs. There are probably signs from God everywhere... it's just that usually we ignore then or we are too wrapped up in our own lives to see them.

Liz Bridges said...

Oh, and I LOVE the movie "Signs." You've probably seen it. It's the one with Mel Gibson and Joaquim (sp?) Phoenix and it has to do with an alien invasion. It sounds very science-fictiony... but it's really about looking for signs... for clues that you are on the right path. It's such a deep movie.

Kate said...

I have a friend who calls these signs "visits." My mom and dad recently went to the Grove Park Inn, which was her parents' favorite, and as soon as they walked in to the restaurant the night that they arrived, the band was playing "Put the Lime in the Coconut." Not a great song, but my grandfather thought it was such a hoot. My mom said that it was such a nice, comforting feeling to consider it a "visit" from her dad. It was as though he were there with her.