Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it. - Danny Kaye

Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Way to Go…

A little over a month ago my family had to say goodbye to my grandmother Helen Dixon “Dixie” Sharkey at the age of 89. On Tuesday we will say farewell to her love of almost 66 years, my grandfather Lawrence “Larry” Sharkey who lived to the bright-eyed age of 92.

I’ve neglected my blog over the past few weeks. Work has gotten extremely busy and I guess I’ve allowed my laptop to remain in my computer bag after hours and on the weekends to have a bit of “separation” from the mainstream. But I return tonight to reflect on a life of not only a wonderful family man, pianist and former Marine, but also to reflect on a relationship that has been rekindled again after a short time apart and one that will last forever…truly forever.

It’s easy to say “you’re sorry” or that you’re “thinking about someone” when they lose a grandparent…or at least that’s the way I used to see it. So many friends of mine have lost their grandparents in the past and I never knew what it really felt like…I guess in a way I thought they wouldn’t be too sad since their grandparent(s) probably lived a long and happy life. To say the least, I felt I was pretty darn lucky to have three healthy and living grandparents. But in a turn of the calendar page my family has seen some very sad moments in only one quarter of this New Year.

Last month my mom lost her mother and one month later (exactly 44 days to the date) she’s now lost her father…a lot to take in for a person. But if I had to be completely honest, I’d have to say that although it’s extremely hard to lose someone you love so dearly and who touched so many lives, I am so very happy for my “Grindaddy” and that he can be with “Memama” for the rest of eternity. I don’t think a single story from my childhood to my adulthood that involves my grandparents would have been only about one or the other. These two were like peas in a pod and where one was, the other was too. Now the two of them can be together forever and they will be missed so very dearly.

To Memama and Grindaddy, you made a beautiful and loving family and you supported each of us no matter what. I can only hope that I’ll have the same life and marriage that you two did…and that David and I will be half as lucky for the good fortune in life that you two had. You loved us all unconditionally and we loved you back. You two deserve to be together and I’m so glad you are now. If we could wish for one thing at the end of life, to be with the one we love…I’d say that’s truly the way to go.

All my love – Meredith

photo booth 1
photo booth 2
photo booth 3
rehearsal dinner

15 comments:

Liz Bridges said...

This was really sweet and brought a few tears. Love the pictures you chose for this post.

Liz Bridges said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz Bridges said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charity said...

Oh, Meredith you made me teary too! I'm so sorry for the loss of your Grandfather, it sounds like he was a wonderful, loving man. I just love the pictures you posted of some happy memories. I'll be praying for your family.
Love you,
Charity

Chase Irons said...

Sending love and prayers to all of you. What wonderful pictures of all of you together.

English said...

Meredith, that was such a beautiful post. I love the pictures of your family together and am so glad they were there to share that special day with you and David. I love you and will be thinking and praying for your family.

BillDixon said...

He was a favorite uncle of all the boy cousins. When he came to Grandaddy and Memama Dixon's, where your mother and sisters with families in tow spent several weeks each summer in Blackstock, would bring gifts. As alway anytime Uncle Larry was around he would place any song we asked him to play on the piano. He was a gentleman and the best husband, daddy, granddaddy, brother, cousin, uncle and friend in the world. We will all miss him, but will never forget him. He and Aunt Helen will always be in our heart. They were the perfect couple.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post...I have chills and tears!! I love you and your family so much and I am praying for all of you during this sad time! At least you know that your sweet grandparents are not reunited and together in heaven!! Love you!
~Nat

Ashley Rodgers said...

Great post! I love the pictures you put up. I know they are both so happy to have been able to share in your big day. You will always have those memories and I couldn't agree more with what a wonderful thing it is to think of them together forever...two peas in a pod! -ABR

Meredith Jewell said...

Thank you all for your sweet and thoughtful comments and prayers. It's been a sad two months but the memories of these two will last forever.

yceceli1 said...

My heart broke for you and your family when I got the news. I can't imagine how hard that it must be to lose two grandparents so closely together. I remember "Grindaddy" from his visits to SC - he was such a sweet man, as was your granmother. I'm so glad that you were blessed enough to have them both be a part of your wedding -those pictures are so much fun! Love you girl, please let me know if you need anything!

Kelley Norris said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandparents! I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather, especially so close to losing your grandmother. My Dad's parents were very similar (although we had more time in between, less than 2 years). Still, it hit us hard. I have always taken such comfort in knowing that Grandma and Papa wanted to be together - just like your Memama and Grindaddy. I'm sure they are sitting together as we speak, smiling down on you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you all during this hard time. Love you Meredith!

Kristy said...

Meredith! I'm so sorry for your loss and I will be thinking of you and your wonderful family!

This is the first time I have read your blog and I must say, although it was a sad post for me to read, it was so well worded and thought out. I look forward to reading more from you!

Love you!!!

Kate said...

Oh my word, Meredith. I am just finally catching up on blogs and have finally gotten to read your and your sister's posts on the sadness of the last few weeks. As you might remember, my Papa and Georgia died a mere four days apart, and there was no preparing me for the grief and loss that I felt. Of course they were "old," and of course they had lived "full, happy lives," but they left me, both at once, and all of a sudden I was without my maternal grandparents and my poor mother was without her parents. I was sad and angry and lonely and so, so grateful all at once. That comes through in your post, too, sweet friend. You loved them so - you love them so - and that love will never end.

My grandfather was popping my grandmother on the rear end until the very end. Their love could not be tamed, even unto death. It seems to have been the same for your grandparents. I hope and pray that it is so for Dan and me. May it be that way for you and David, too.

I love you, friend. So much.

Meredith Jewell said...

Kate, I do remember this...sometimes these things happen so quickly that you don't have time to spread the word to others, and although many friends go through these same losses in a short amount of time, it's comforting to know that our grandparents are together in Heaven forever.