Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it. - Danny Kaye

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Arts and Artistic App

On Wednesday night David and I decided to do something a little different…a different kind of “date night” mid-week…we went to see “Romeo & Juliet” at the Newberry Opera House in Newberry, South Carolina. I read about this production last weekend in the paper and thought it was a way we could get out and enjoy the arts nearby and to support a local, cultural event. Neither of us had been to the Newberry Opera House before, but we were both impressed by its ornate and cozy-old-school-feel that it gave to show-goers as we settled into our very high-school-like-auditorium seats. We began to take in the layout before the show just in time to notice that not only would the auditorium probably not fully fill up (in part probably because it was a ‘school night’) but also that we were clearly the youngest people by several generations. Not that it’s bad to be put out of your comfort zone or among the older & wiser, but it was quite humorous to us and we knew everyone was there to merely enjoy the show…that is until we heard the sound of high schoolers enter at the very last minute to take their seats…most likely for their high school English, Literature or Drama class assignments. The best part was watching one young couple in front of us stroke each others’ faces and whisper sweet-nothings into each others’ ear…well, until it just became obsessive. Either way…another good laugh to us as it was all part of the setting.

poster
program
tix
via Instagram with changes

inside hall
via Instagram


The production was great, set back in the 1920’s with the inclusion of several Shakespearian additions (namely the language), it had comical humor and lots of good character (literally). We enjoyed the show and our trip to Newberry, but I also saw something that has stuck with me even a little more than just the scenery on stage…

stage

…a COUCH. Yep, you heard that right. During intermission I came across this gorgeous sofa in a waiting area at the Opera House and had to snap a quick photo of it…with my new iPhone. Now I wasn’t going to write about the fact that I got a new cellular, however I have now officially fallen in love with one of my new ‘apps’…Instagram. Many of you out there may already know about this application which can be downloaded for free, but I was just introduced to this app the other day and it’s awesome. I knew immediately what photo I could play around with…the COUCH photo. So here you have it…some fun, ‘old’, artistic (or artsy) photos…of the COUCH…enjoy!

couch 1
the original photo, a little blurry in larger format (all photos via iPhone)

couch 2
via Instagram
couch 3
via Instagram
couch 4
via Instagram
couch 5
via Instagram

WHICH ONE WAS YOUR FAVORITE???

6 comments:

Liz Bridges said...

Fun date night idea!!! I have not heard of that app before. The photos turned out really cool! I liked the 2nd to last one. It looks like something in a horror movie. Creepy...

BillDixon said...

I've been through Newberry a hundred times right by the opera house and have never been inside. I'm jealous. You might check out the opera house in Abbeville, SC. Many "road companies" produced in New York have played there. Check it out at www.theabbevilleoperahouse.com . Red Velvet Cake is playing next. Who wouldn't like that?

CamLarson said...

Great date night -- y'all should also try out Foutain Inn's new venue... My sister-in-law and I went to see Grey Gardens and it was SO good.. Surprisingly good! Hope you're doing well! :) -cam

BillDixon said...

The "Honeymoon" must still be going great. No one has heard or seen either of you since your last post. Nobody is on the sofa either. You must have moved to another room.

AW said...

I like the third one- maybe you should turn these into some art... Might look good in the "brown" room. Peace Out Seester.

Gretchen O. said...

I bet we could do some GREAT things with that ol couch! (thinking painted wood and some trellis fabric...! I have always wanted to go to the opera house....on my list.