Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it. - Danny Kaye

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Dear Memama,

Mem
I’ve been trying to reflect on what I would write to you or say to you and there seems to be so much and also seems to be so little. I guess that’s because I have said a lot to you over the years and you have said a lot to me in return, yet from here on out you’ll already know what I need to say to you and hopefully I’ll know what you want to tell me. You gave my sisters and me a person to look up to in your caring, nurturing, loving and fun spirit and that will truly be missed. Yesterday we had a service in your honor, to celebrate your life and to tell stories of your humor, playfulness, giving and unselfishness and then we traveled to your hometown to let you rest with your brothers and sisters, your parents, your nieces and your nephews and to say goodbye…or for now anyway.

DSC_0050
We cried about your presence and we laughed about your absence…and you could say I have that wrong, but I think that’s how I saw it. I felt the wind blow and thought it was you telling us all was ok. I watched Grindaddy shed a tear for his love of more than 65 years and I cried with him knowing he would miss his partner in everyday life. The day was Valentine’s and it was centered on love in our world. You gave nothing but love to me and now it’s my turn to love others the way you did. As I watched the beautiful sunset on the drive home last night I cried again. I cried because I happily remembered that even though you’re not with us anymore, you’re in a better place…a place we don’t know, a place we question, a place of so much wonder. I hope it’s nice there and I hope you’re happy. I will miss you terribly but I know that you’ll look out for me. I love you so very much and until we meet again, sweet Memama, enjoy Heaven.

Dear Memama

7 comments:

Helen said...

We will certainly miss her, but she will always be a part of us.
Love you,
Mom

BillDixon said...

Aunt Helen was the touchstone I used to gauge sweetness. I can still hear her voice and its unmistakable resonance of sweetness.
Love you dearly,
Billy Brown Dixon

Chase Irons said...

Meredith,
We have been thinking about all of you. What a beautiful tribute you have written to your Memama. I know she is looking down on all of you smiling.
Love,
Chase

Liz Bridges said...

This is such a sweet letter and I thought so many of the same things that you wrote about here. We are taking so much of her with us as we grow older and raise our families, so parts of her will live on in us.

Love,

Liz

Kate said...

So sorry for your loss, sweet friend. What a wonderful example she was to you and so many others. Carry her in your heart, and trust that you'll see her again. Much, much love to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Meredith! This is such a sweet tribute to your grandmother. My thoughts continue to be with you and your family during this tough time.

Megan Wright Morris

CamLarson said...

What a beautiful post Meredith. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, but you are right - she is smiling down on you from above. Much love and prayer to you and your family! -Cam