Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it. - Danny Kaye

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Real Housewives of York County

Hello, Family Jewell Readers!  Guess what... I'm not Meredith! 

My name is Elizabeth Bridges and I am Meredith's wiser older sister!  I write a blog called "Confessions of a Former Couch Potato."  But Meredith and I decided to change things up and swap blogs for a day.  So here I am!

Are you a fan of the Housewives series on Bravo?  Because I definitely am.  Really, if it's trashy reality TV, then I probably watch it.  Jersey Shore?  Yep, I watch it.  Teen Mom?  Yep, that one, too.  And the Housewives series is one of my favorites.  I think the thing I like about those shows is... those women all have way more money than me (well... in some cases...) but sometimes watching those shows makes me feel way better about myself.  I mean, they've got all the money in the world, but their lives are all a mess! 

But this week... I've been feeling like a housewife.  We got about 6 inches of snow on Monday, and then a good amount of ice on top of all of that. 


Yes... those are Christmas wreaths still hanging up... maybe we need to get those down...
So we've been snowed in for several days.  (Actually, the problem the past 2 days has really been the ice!)

Check out the shiny surface!



Dangerous... but really pretty!
Normally, I'd be at work during the week.  But this week I have been off the WHOLE week!  In fact, I don't return to work until Tuesday!  So I've gotten a nice taste of "Housewife Life."  (In fact, I will admit to all of you... my child has worn pajamas for 3 days and I only put on "real clothes" once yesterday to go to the gym.)  One of the best things has been having time to try new recipes!

This morning, I baked something I'd like to share with all of you: Oatmeal-Raisin Mini Bites.  Now, I should tell you that I'm a member of Weight Watchers and this is a new Weight Watchers Recipe.  However, these little tiny cookies are so delicious, you wouldn't know the recipe came from Weight Watchers.  They are perfect for when you just need a bite of something sweet.  They are only 1 point each, if you are following the new Points Plus plan.  Three of these with a hot cup of coffee or tea would be great afternoon (or morning) snack!



Here's the recipe... so you can make your own!  (And a little photo tutorial, too!)

Makes 40-60 mini cookies (Depends on how small you make yours-- if you make 60, they are only 1 point each.  If you make 40, they are 2 points each.)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking oats)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup raisins, chopped

Preheat oven to 375.  In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Set aside.  Then, using a mixer, cream the butter and sugars until well mixed.  Add egg and vanilla; mix thoroughly.  Add oat mixture and mix until just combined.  Then fold in the raisins. 

Drop rounded teaspoons of batter onto 2 ungreased cookie sheets (I lined mine with parchment paper).  Bake for 9-10 minutes for chewy cookies or 11-12 minutes for crispy cookies.  Remove from oven.  Let cookies rest for 1-2 minutes, and then allow to cool on a wire rack. 

butter and sugars

dry ingredients

mix it all together

add the raisins

place on baking sheets (these are slightly larger than marbles)

bake until the bottoms are just lightly browned

yummmmm.... the finished product...

crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside...

add coffee for the perfect snack...


Enjoy!

Thanks for reading!  Feel free to stop by my blog and visit anytime! 

4 comments:

Meredith Jewell said...

Love Love Love this! I can't wait to make them for myself (for me & David)! We both love oatmeal raisen cookies, so this will be even better! Delicious! Thanks for posting, Liz...looking forward to our next "swap"!!

AW said...

Yummy Liz! P loves oatmeal raisin cookies too- so maybe I will be a baker too...being a house (or condo) wife for a week is pretty great! Your little sis likes the switch-a-roo you two are doing.

Liz Bridges said...

Glad you both liked the recipe. They ARE delicious. I have eaten like 6 of them today. And Ryan and Sadie have enjoyed them, too!

Miss ya, sistas!

Gretchen O. said...

Looks delish! What fun to swap blogs with your sister...my sister and I have talked about it but haven't done it yet...you have inspired me to get on that...