Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it. - Danny Kaye

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Etiquette and ‘The Facebook Effect’

facebook
I haven’t seen “The Social Network” yet but plan to as soon as possible (or before the Oscars if not the Golden Globes). With that being said, I did watch CNBC’s special tonight on “The Facebook Obsession” and how this launch from a Harvard sophomore back in 2004 has become the most crazed, sought after and fascinating global phenomenon in our century and arguably in our world. With over six billion people on our planet and with one out of every 12 people in the world on Facebook, that’s a lot of folks that are joined together through the most entertaining and frustrating social media network.

Mark Zuckerberg is one heck of a talented person but even he didn’t always show the most intelligent, well thought-out or even modest comments along the way. And as I’ve noticed recently neither do others. It’s always interesting to sign on to Facebook, scroll down my home page for updates on family and friends, view pictures posted or maybe even link to a blog post that someone has written, but the status updates are either what really get me thinking or really wish I could tell the posting person ‘TO THINK’.

If you were lucky enough to catch this CNBC special tonight you’ll know (or maybe you’ll personally know) that Facebook has helped people in positive ways and has also ended peoples’ careers. You can choose to use this social network whichever way you choose, but there’s something to be said for the unpretentious users out there versus the overconfident “updaters”. Sometimes I do care about your opinion on politics and the president, but then again I really could use less updates on your favorite football team and how much you love/hate/love/hate/love/hate them. It’s fun to see pictures of families, friends and vacations or trips taken, but to experience almost the entire feeding of a newborn with her mother (the natural way), that may just be a bit too invasive. Nonetheless, again, Facebook is for each member to use or do with as they please…to each his own, I guess.

But before you decide to degrade people, shout out expletives or tell of your “horrible” situation at work, home or in life, consider those around you and those you don’t know. Some people in the world are losing family members, some are losing pets, some are losing jobs and some are losing their life. I saw a painting today that made me stop and try to appreciate the moment I was in…”Life is Beautiful”. I think we all need to see statements like that from time to time to remind us to put ourselves and our thoughts into perspective. I have a lot to be thankful for and as I begin this year into 2011 I will try to remind myself of that phrase and go positively on my way. And if there’s no interesting news that I can post to my Facebook status or to update my “friends” on, I guess I can quote the painting I saw…

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL. Enough said.



Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 comments:

Liz Bridges said...

Too bad you don't have a "Like" button for this post! Well-said. People just do not think about what they post. I see people from work posting all kinds of crap on Facebook and I ask myself, "What are they thinking???"

Leenie said...

Get post, Meredith. I definitely agree.

Kelley Norris said...

I could go on and on about my love/hate relationship with Facebook. I know we've discussed it before. Great post Perm!