Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it. - Danny Kaye

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Love Actually IS All Around...

The other night I asked my husband if we could watch “my movie” (we generally like to sit around and be lazy on Sunday evenings together…usually with any easy-fix dinner or take-out).  This past Sunday I was in the mood for Christmas…I had been out earlier in the day running errands to buy gifts for our families and was enjoying the holiday music on the radio while out and felt it should carry on into the night.  My pick for the night?  My very favorite Christmas movie (or maybe just favorite movie) “LOVE ACTUALLY”.  Yes, I’m sure there are many of you who would agree with me…I mean, how couldn’t you?  The movie that brings so many different characters together from so many different backgrounds, and gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.  I think throughout the movie I said at least five times “this is my favorite scene” and then at the end I couldn’t really put into order which scene was my favorite or second favorite and so on…
But when watching that movie and seeing the love that is between a husband and his deceased wife, a mother and her children, a sister and her brother, a boyfriend with his girlfriend and then friends in general, it makes you remember to think about the relationships in your own life…and how you have to always remember to nurture those relationships, put effort into those relationships and basically feed those relationships…even though we all have a million things going on in our own lives.  So many times I find myself beginning an e-mail with a friend I haven’t corresponded with in a while by saying “I’m such a bad friend…sorry it’s been so long since I’ve written”…but isn’t it the same on the other end?  I think I like to blame myself for the lack of keeping in touch with family and friends sometimes, but I think it’s just something we all do without knowing it…and then it creeps up to us…like the holidays.
So maybe this year during the “season of giving” we should all try to make at lease one phone call to a friend we haven’t spoken to in a while or write an e-mail to a friend that we REALLY haven’t spoken to for an even longer time…and remember to be thankful for those friends and family members in our lives.  We forget sometimes to think positively about the people in our lives that give us love and support, especially during the day-to-day rush of the Christmas season.  But maybe this year we should all try to stop and give thanks for the ones you love…after all, isn’t that what Christmas is all about?  Love?

my family over the Thanksgiving holiday

we made my parents do the "prom pose" for this one...

my sweet husband and me


3 comments:

Nessa said...

Love you Meredith :)

yceceli1 said...

I love you, David, and your family. Y'all are such awesome people. Hope to see you this week. I have really enjoyed reading your blog.

Carlee said...

Loving the blog Mrs. Jewell! I watched Love Actually the other day and it put me in the best mood. Hope you and David had a great Christmas!