Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it. - Danny Kaye

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Conformity…

I haven't been to yoga in a few weeks, I think certain events have kept me away from my favorite Wednesday night class at the gym...'the daily grind'.  And by not going for a few weeks in a row your body can tell...in a major way!  Just an hour after returning home from the gym I felt the pain and soreness reach my legs, back, shoulders, etc...so there you go...yoga really does work.  Or at least it does something...otherwise I would be cleaning my house right now rather than sitting and blogging...oops!  But I digress… Besides the ache and pain I feel right now I also really took to the quote that was read during the opening and closing (Savasana) of my yoga session tonight..."the opposite of courage is not fear itself but conformity".  I wish I could credit the author and have tried to search for who said this (and will continue to do so), but it struck a chord with me.

I think I've been going through a bit of the 'I'm trying to figure out what my passion is in life' stance recently and the only thing that brings me comfort is to write about my feelings.  This blog is somewhat of a project for me and/or a diary of sorts.  I guess it's a place where I can question things from time to time and maybe even get a response or bit of good advice from a reader or follower... (so here's hoping!).  But lately I find myself enlightened by even the smallest things...like the quote tonight in yoga.  "The opposite of courage is not fear itself but conformity"...I think I may take my fear of writing about the unknown or expressing myself with words that may not sound studious and instead turn my feelings into blogs for a while so as to encourage myself to find my inner passion and to be original.  I think one can truly be happy with oneself if they have the courage to go into the unknown and excel or be happy at the attempt to excel.  Well for now, I think I'm going to try that route...for a while anyway.  When you feel like your true creativity is hidden away and you know it should come out, that might be the scariest part of changing the norm or 'non-conforming'. 

DSC_0996
Today I'm not going to 'conform', but instead I'm going to do the opposite of that and find courage...

...courage to not be in fear of myself...

DSC_1031
...courage to live my life.

4 comments:

Liz Bridges said...

Love that quote! Most of what I do for a living is to get people to step out into unknown territory. I have 2 favorite quotes that I say all the time and they are posted in my classroom.

"Risk everything. Outgrow yourself." -- Ralph Fletcher, author

This is my quote that I live by. We are taught all through life not to take risks... but if you don't... then you never get anywhere.

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten."-- unknown

This one is one of my favorites, too. We get into ruts all the time where we always do the same things... and we get bored and unhappy. You have to take new paths and try new things.

I think with blogging, you have a choice-- to write about what you think people want to read, or to write about what is meaningful/enjoyable to you. My blog has definitely evolved over the past 98 posts that I have done. And I am sure it will continue to evolve!

Liz

Meredith Jewell said...

Thanks, Liz! This is what I like...to get others' ideas of what they like to live by too...and your blog was inspiration for me, too! Thanks for the post!

Kate said...

i love this. such good, relevant thoughts. the blog is a wonderful place to express your budding creativity. but careful...dan consistently reminds me not to feel pressure to post, or to be more creative than last time. if i feel like you don't have much to say, but need to write, i sometimes start in a journal, where it can be messy and spelled incorrectly and not funny or witty or wise at all. i often find that i learn something about myself or what i really want to say from that exercise. either way, though, this community is far less about us than it is about you, so keep exploring.

but don't kid yourself, sister, you're already a beautiful swan. :)

Meredith Jewell said...

Thanks, Kate. I was having some "writers block" (no pun intended thanks to thigs and offerings from the other day) and actually was almost wanting to make myself publish something the other night. I think though that I was having one of those days that I sort-of went in search of a direction. But recently I started a diary, too...that way if I want to really write about the day (nitty, gritty, pretty and ugly) I can and it doesn't have to be published, so to speak). Thanks for reading and for writing...love you.